Author: DOE Office of Economic Impact and Diversity Published: 9/3/2019 Office of Economic Impact and Diversity
The Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Economic Impact and Diversity issued its first Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for Fiscal Year 2020. The Minority Education, Workforce, and Training (MEWT) Program FOA includes approximately $4 million in financial assistance awards. Subsequent project years may be funded, contingent upon available funding and programmatic relevance of proposed projects.
Topic areas of interest include:
- STEM Education: Increase the participation of students enrolled in Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) across the nation in STEM disciplines, enhance the students’ academic development, and build core competencies for DOE and its national laboratories.
- Capacity Building: Strengthen the STEM capabilities of MSIs through collaboration with the Department’s national laboratories and scientific facilities to engage faculty and participate in DOE’s Visiting Faculty Program, a 10-week research appointment for faculty to collaborate on a research project with scientists at the DOE national laboratories.
- Technical Assistance: Enhance competitiveness through sharing information and expertise, instruction, skills, and working knowledge relative to particular needs and priorities.
- Training: Develop and deliver targeted training for regional energy sector employment opportunities through certification, apprenticeship, placement preparation, and partnerships with community colleges.
- Workforce/Pipeline Analysis: The Office of Economic Impact and Diversity recognizes the importance of research on disparities and opportunities for people in minority communities, MSIs, and minority business enterprises.
Eligible Applicants include:
- Small businesses
- Nonprofits having a 501(c)(3) status with the IRS, other than institutions of higher education
- For profit organizations other than small businesses
- Public and State controlled institutions of higher education
- Private institutions of higher education
More details on DOE Minority Education, Workforce, and Training (MEWT) Program Funding Opportunity Announcement can be found HERE.