Author: US DOE Staff Published: 10/27/2022 SETO
Solar Energy Technologies Office
What’s Inside: Solar Snapshot, the newsletter of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Energy Technologies Office (SETO), shares recent announcements; upcoming events; products and publications; and more.
If someone forwarded this newsletter to you, you can subscribe here.
Reach out to us at email@example.com with any inquiries or suggestions.
Estimated read time: 3 minutes, 59 seconds
SETO is seeking information and feedback from solar industry professionals, researchers, and others on the collection and sharing of performance data for solar PV systems. Learn more and submit your response by November 18 at 5 p.m. ET.
SETO will fund nine teams to research how to minimize the impact of solar energy plants on wildlife and maximize the benefits to local ecosystems. Ahora en español: conozca cómo los equipos de investigación planean minimizar el impacto de las grandes instalaciones de energía solar en la biodiversidad y maximizar sus beneficios para los ecosistemas locales.
Don’t forget to participate in these funding opportunities, prizes, and solicitations!
- Cadmium Telluride (CdTe) Accelerator Request for Proposals – Researchers and businesses can submit proposals by October 28.
- American-Made Perovskite Startup Prize – Perovskite researchers can apply for the current cycle of the Countdown Contest by November 3.
- Durable Module Materials (DuraMAT) Consortium Open Call Request for Proposals – Private solar companies and academic universities can submit proposals by November 3.
- American-Made SolarAPP+ Prize – U.S. counties, cities, and incorporated towns and villages can sign up to compete by November 4 and adopt SolarAPP+ by April 27, 2023.
- RFI on Domestic Solar Panel Production – The U.S. General Services Administration seeks responses from manufacturers, purchasers and installers, and renewable energy providers by November 18.
- Defense Production Act and Grid Reliability RFI – Public responses are due November 30.
Some Light 🌞 Reading
Manufacturers can get up-to-date information about the investment and production tax credits on SETO’s new resource webpage. Learn about bonus credits and labor requirements in the Inflation Reduction Act, information on component eligibility, phase-out timelines, and more! See more federal solar tax credit resources.
Interested in the state of U.S. solar energy manufacturing? SETO’s new interactive map shows the location of major domestic manufacturers of solar power components across the country
The International Trade Administration published a request for comment on its draft list of harmonized system codes titled, “Draft Harmonized System Code List of Critical Supply Chains.” Individuals with expertise in the subject matter can submit comments on or before November 3.
The Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations is seeking public input via an RFI on a new $1 billion program to improve energy generation in rural or remote communities across the country. The Energy Improvements in Rural or Remote Areas program will strengthen the resilience, reliability, and availability of energy systems. Responses must be submitted as attachments to an email and sent electronically to ERA@hq.doe.gov by November 28 at 12 p.m. ET.
Permitting can be a major barrier to solar adoption and deployment. Local governments can apply to DOE’s SolarAPP+ Prize, a million-dollar program designed to accelerate the adoption of SolarAPP+, helping to deploy more solar and save time for local governments, installers, and consumers. Read to learn more.
November 1 | San Francisco, CA | 12 p.m. ET
SETO’s Dr. Jennifer DiStefano and Dr. George Stefopoulos will host a workshop at the 2022 Greenbuild International Conference and Expo to discuss the current challenges and opportunities of BIPV.
November 4-5 | St. Charles, IL & Virtual
DOE’s 2022 CyberForce Competition seeks to increase 1) hands-on cyber education to college students and professionals, 2) awareness of the critical infrastructure and cyber security nexus, and 3) basic understanding of cyber security within a real-world scenario. Learn more and join in-person or virtually!
The Community Solar Pathway to Success: Strategies for Driving Equitable Distribution and Meaningful Benefits
November 15 | Washington, D.C. | 3:30 p.m. ET
SETO’s Nicole Steele will moderate a panel at the 2022 Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change conference on best practices and next steps for equity in the solar landscape.
November 7 | 1 p.m. ET
The Office of Cybersecurity, Energy Security, and Emergency Response and the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy are hosting a webinar about the cybersecurity threats and recommendations for distributed energy resource stakeholders covered in the new “Cybersecurity Considerations for Distributed Energy Resources on the U.S. Electric Grid” report.
Products and Publications
- Solar Investment Tax Credit: What Changed? – Learn how the Inflation Reduction Act could help you save on solar and review our federal solar tax credit resources.
- Buzzing Around Solar: Pollinator Habitat Under Solar Arrays – SETO is funding work to study the impacts of co-locating ground-mounted solar arrays and habitats for pollinators like bees and butterflies.
In Case You Missed It
- Webinar Recording: EnergyTech University Prize (EnergyTech UP) Informational Webinar
- Workshop Presentations: Open-Source Software (OSS) – Building Community Engagement for Lasting Impact